Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Adopt a Platoon

A while ago I stumbled upon the Adopt-A-Platoon website and decided to apply. I had forgotten all about it until I got a call last night to confirm my continued interest in supporting an overseas soldier. The lady on the phone asked me to confirm my contact information and explained the process to me.

Adopt-A-Platoon is great, because you can choose to support either 1-4 individual soldiers, or a whole platoon. And you can choose between just being a penpal and committing to writing 1 letter a week until they come home or writing letters and sending a care package once a month. I opted for the penpal. You can still send packages if you want to, but you're not obligated to.

Anyway, during the phone call, the lady kept referring to the potential penpal as "he" "him" "his" etc. Afterwards I wondered if all the soldiers receiving mail are men, which I thought was a bit sexist. After all, there's women over there too, and I'm sure they'd love a few letters as well. But this mystery was cleared up today, when I received an email with a female soldier's information on it. Yay!

First letter to go out this week, that's my goal. However, I should set my definition of "a week" first, since theoretically my week could start today and end next Tuesday. But I think I'll go with the slightly more traditional (in Germany) of Monday-Sunday. So, 1 letter by Sunday... check.

Do you enjoy writing letters and cards? Don't have anyone to send them to? Maybe you can check out Adopt-A-Platoon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment