Thursday, March 25, 2010

Scrapbook- Tiled Layout

Tools: Scissors, Ruler, Pencil

Crafting Mats: Pictures, 12x12 Scrapbooking Pages, Mounting Squares

Instructions*: Determine how many pages you will need, by roughly laying out the pictures, and averaging 15 squares per 3.5x5 inch picture. Every 12x12 page will hold about 8x8 (64) 1-inch squares, with 1/4 inch allowance between pictures. Draw 1x1 inch squares on the back of the pictures to be tiled (I used pictures of flowers taken at American University) and cut them out, making sure to keep them in separate piles. With a pencil make dots along the edge of the paper about every 1 1/2 inches, and then make dots where these lines intersect. This will act as the middle point for each set of four tiles (if you look closely, you can see where my dots are, because I didn't feel like erasing them after I was done).
























Arrange pictures any way you wish, making sure to keep at least two tiles of the same picture together for coherence. Stick on with mounting squares. If you would like to put a title in (like the one on my pages), leave several rows empty and explore any option you so choose. I went around campus and found different letters that spelled out "Campus in Bloom, Spring 2007" and then tried to crop them as much as possible so they would be roughly the same size when printed.























Alternatively, you could tile them on black paper to get more of a stained glass window effect, or cut out irregular patterns that fit together from picture to picture.

*Disclaimer: This is not my original idea, I saw this in a book on scrapbooking ideas and thought I would pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment