Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Charity Block 1 for GRMQ (Jan 2022)

I've been making these blocks forever. Whenever I have scraps, I cut them down into squares, rectangles, or leave them as is and stick them in my scrap baskets. All of the charity blocks this month will use up these scraps.

First up, the checkerboard blocks:


What you will need:

2.5" square pieces of low volume (if you take a B/W picture, the fabrics should show as white) - solid whites and creams are the best, but you can use some patterns too, just try to limit patterns with a bunch of additional colors or more noticeable patterns

2.5" square pieces of medium to high volume - patterns are best, but you can also use some solids

In the top picture, I set aside the top three fabrics, because I wasn't sure if they'd work as low volume. When I took the bottom B/W picture the outer two showed as white so they went in my low volume stack, the middle showed as a light grey. These blocks look best with mostly white on white or with solid white/cream as the background.

Pair one med/high volume with one low volume piece. Sew a scant quarter inch seam. It should now measure 2.5" by 4.5". Then pair your pairs together into quadrants (try not to use two med/high volume pieces of the same color in one quadrant). If you have directional prints in your pairs, make sure that you orient them so a med/high volume square is in the bottom left. I iron my seams open, so I like to stick a pin where the two seams meet up. If you're ironing to the side, you can probably skip that and just butt the seams together as you sew. Sew a scant quarter inch seam. Your block should now measure 4.5" by 4.5".


Now pair two quadrants together into a half. Pin at the seams and sew a scant quarter inch. Your block will be 4.5" by 8.5". If you have directional prints, make sure you continue to keep a med/high volume square in the bottom left corner.


Finally, pair the two halves together. Pin at the seams and sew a scant quarter inch seam. Your block will be 8.5" by 8.5". Once again, if using any directional prints, keep the med/high volume square in the bottom left.


It took me less than 30 minutes to make 2.75 blocks (it might take a bit longer if you have to cut fabrics first). Make as many as you'd like, if you have extra pairs, quarters, or halves, save them and make a few more here and there as you sew other things.


While this is for my current guild, the Grand Rapids Modern Quilters, anyone can make these blocks and contribute them to our charity quilts (or just make them for yourself). If you'd like to contribute them, email me and I'll give you my address to send them to (DamascSt@gmail.com). If you're in the guild, we'll have a box at every meeting that you can put your finished (or partial) blocks in, or you can drop them off with me or Cindy.

No comments:

Post a Comment