Thursday, January 7, 2016

I'm Participating


To step away from my usual routine of posting about my quilting exploits (or recent lack thereof), we bring you:

For more information or to participate yourself in this Montgomery County Public Libraries initiative, you can go here: http://montgomerycountypubliclibraries.blogspot.com/2016/01/2016-mcpl-reading-challenge.html

For a quick side-note: According to Goodreads (which I've been trying to keep updated over the past year) I read 51 books in 2015 (of which about 7 were books I read to my son, though I've read way more than that to him over the course of the last 10 months, and 2 of which were compilations of 3 or 4 books, so it kind of evens out). For my full list, you can go here:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2015/16018309

So because I read that many books in 2015, I didn't think reading 12 books over 12 months, even if there are very specific categories associated with these 12 books (plus one bonus if you happen to dislike one of the categories or just can't find anything), I wanted to challenge myself a little further.

So my goal is to read only books by female authors with some sort of female focus (heroine, protagonist). 

I've made a tentative list of possibilities for each category here and my goal is to do a minor review of each book once I finish it:

1) A book by a local author or set in the DC/MD/VA area (if you're from somewhere else, just insert your own state here - I chose to limit myself to books set in MD, since that's where I live): 
 2) A book from a genre you don't typically read (any one of the non-fiction or memoirs books could go here as well for me):
3) An Audiobook (any format):
  • Any one of the other books, or really any book that strikes my fancy, or I'll sub this out for the bonus book, since I'm only really a fan of audiobooks on car trips
4) A graphic novel or comic book:
5) A book by an author whose race, religion, or ethnicity is different from your own:
6) A book published this year (this seems too easy since most of my favorite fantasy authors have books with strong female characters):
7) A non-fiction book: 
8) A memoir, biography, or autobiography of someone who is still alive:
9) A book that can be enjoyed by readers of all ages, children to adults:
10)  A book that has been made into a movie (many options here, but I've already read Hunger Games and Vampire Academy):
11) A book recommended by another person or organization (like your library!) (I cheated a little here and just used Goodreads as the organization and chose some books from the Awesome Women of the Ancient World list that looked interesting):
12) An award winner (it was actually surprisingly hard to find something that matched my criteria of female subject, female author, and adult book):
Bonus: A book that takes place in the future:
  • The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood (dystopian, I was supposed to read this in high school but never actually read it - one of two assigned books I skipped, the other was The Old Man and the Sea and I have absolutely no desire to revisit that one)

No comments:

Post a Comment