Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Jacquie Gering and October Update

I wrote a guest post on the DC Modern Quilt Guild blog here. It's about the amazing trunk show by Jacquie Gering that I went to in Baltimore on Monday. It was hosted by the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild. In case you don't know who Jacquie Gering is, here is a link to her blog Tallgrass Prairie Studio. Go check it out, you won't be sorry. Here is another picture of the trunk show that I didn't post on the DCMQG blog.

This is the quilt the publishers didn't want to use in her book, because they didn't like the antennae on the TV's. No sense of humor, so sad. I love them.
 
I finished cutting fabric for my plus quilt! I started laying it out on the floor and just started sewing. Next thing I knew, I had sewn together 21 rows.
 
Here is just a small sampling of the many fabrics used in this quilt.
 
I ended up with tons of extra grey cut fabric which I will be using on the back. Each row is 19 "squares" long and as previously mentioned, the quilt will be 21 rows across. It will be a king sized quilt and will finish at about 95x105. I will be getting this quilted by a long-armer, just need to narrow down my choices. But that won't happen until after the wedding next June, because my FSIL and I had discussed using fabric for the guest book and incorporating those fabric squares into the back of the quilt.
 
Other projects that I am actively working on include the following:
 
The Christmas quilt: I have now run completely out of cut Kona Snow and need to start cutting some more.
 
A second low volume baby quilt: need to mark more of the fabrics so I can turn them into HSTs.
 
Japanese X and Plus blocks: finished cutting all the grey end squares and need to concentrate on the center pluses.
 
Color Bee Shocked blocks for October: I have cut the red fabrics for one and have picked out the pink fabrics for the other.
 
Scrappy Swoon Wedding Quilt: I have sorted out all of my purple, blue-green, and black fabrics ready to be cut. I have decided to make the pattern a bit larger and will be using 4.5 and 5" squares.
 
Memory Quilts: I made a second octagonal block section and a second Double Wedding Ring "melon"/"football"/whatever from the fabrics I used in the Plus Quilt.
 
Left: Toucan Quilt; Right: Plus Quilt
Top: Plus Quilt; Bottom: Toucan Quilt
 
This crafting every day thing is really working. I did actually get some cleaning in and have put away all of the fabrics that I had finished cutting. Not to mention all the cutting and sewing I've been doing recently.



No comments:

Post a Comment