Friday, June 25, 2010

Road Trip Jealousy

Two of my co-workers are currently road tripping from Washington, DC to Portland, OR where one of them will stay to take up a new position in our Portland office and the other will turn around and fly back home to DC. For the past week or so, they've been discussing their route, all of the things they want to go and see, and how much time they'll have in each place. It made me jealous.

Now, it's not like I've never road tripped before. In fact, my family used to take four week long road trips every summer. On last count I've been to about 45 states. I believe the states I've managed to skip so far are Maine (although I really want to go), Vermont, New Hampshire, Alaska (also one that's still on my list), and Rhode Island.

I think the biggest problem is that I was so young, and the first year or so that we did our summer road trip, I spoke hardly any English, that I don't remember much of it. Most of what I remember is from postcards and pictures. There are so many places that I would love to revisit now that I'm older and can actually appreciate them. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen any time soon. Money and vacation time are the biggest factors holding me back. This is one of those times when I wish I was an heiress and didn't have to worry about holding down a job, or where my next paycheck was coming from.

Have you had the opportunity to take a road trip lately? Where did you go?

No comments:

Post a Comment