Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ocean Life Quilt - Part 3

So after the red and orange jellyfish, I decided to figure out my own fabric placement and figured that separating the different tentacles was the way to go. The only thing I don't like about this one is that the front pink tentacle is so much wider at the top than the other ones. But I call this one my breast cancer awareness jellyfish.

I cannot even begin to tell you how sick and tired I got of sewing the middle sections of this seaweed. I found the pattern online as part of a really awesome Block of the Month for a Rio Negro scene. So I am happy to give credit to Ula Lenz for this block, I just took it way beyond her three block wonder to this 12 block monstrosity (4" per finished block, that totals a height of 48"). Man was I glad when I finally finished it.

I wanted a few less obvious fish so the eyes could rest a bit while moving around the quilt, so I went for this more neutral looking Angelfish. Having experimented with the one-finned Bannerfish, I just decided to go with the original pattern for the second one. I even got the directionality of the fabric right for the fins.

Another small seahorse. No mistakes on this one.

A smaller version of my seaweed monstrosity. This one only had 4 blocks. I really like how well the light green stands out against the turquoise. If I had to do it over again, I'd have done the large seaweed in light green and the small one in dark green.

After laying out the blocks that I had made so far, I decided that I needed one more block. Since I didn't have a small left facing seahorse yet, I decided to go with that.

That's all of the individual blocks, I'll do the big reveal after work on Thursday. Hope you like it so far. :)


  1. I love the sea horses and the seaweed. You got some mad sewing skills.

  2. I found your blog because of the sea horses! Great work!

    Christine Barker

  3. I found your blog because of the sea horses! Great work!

    Christine Barker