Sunday, July 24, 2016

DCMQG 2016 QAL - Block 19

Block 19

I'm back! This block is based off of a block called Alleyways by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr in Modern Blocks. I've made a few adjustments to it. This is our first block using improv piecing and also our first block using a foundation.

Germany - Part 2

Ok, here's part two of our epic Germany trip. :) You can find Part 1 here.

Richard got sick Sunday night before we left, Eric got sick Monday night, so I ended up letting him sleep in on Tuesday and then we had a leisurely morning at Andrea's parents' place. Gave the midget a much needed bath and got clean ourselves. We finally set off for Bamberg after lunch. We were going to drive up to the castle but ended up getting lost in the tiny little cobblestone alleys and so we decided to turn around and park where we could. That ended up being at the tourist information center parking garage.

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Germany - Part 1

I've you've been wondering about the radio silence in recent weeks, here's why...

My hubby, the midget and I were in Germany for two weeks to visit my extended family. We had an absolute blast, minus the traveling itself and the fact that all three of us got chest colds. Here are a few picture highlights of our trip (well, part 1 anyway):

In the train from Zuerich, Switzerland to Frick, Switzerland, which we weren't even supposed to be on. So there's a story behind this... thanks to traveling with a baby on an overnight flight (during which he slept for at least 4-5 hours and we did not sleep at all) we had a lot of luggage, including his stroller and car seat. So the idea was to get a rental car, which I'd reserved, and then drive the hour to my grandmother's house. We get to the counter, with our cart and the stroller only to find out that we needed a card that actually said "Credit" on it, because unlike the U.S. where most people will run your Debit card as Credit, and despite having a bunch of money sitting in that account to cover any incidental costs like the rental car, they wouldn't run it. My husband had brought his actual Credit card, but because we only had a $500 limit on it, and the rental car company wanted a deposit, the card wouldn't go through. We were exhausted, our kid was cranky, and I'm pretty sure I nearly cried. Long story short, we ended up on a train instead with all our luggage, but we made it.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

DCMQG 2016 QAL - Block 18

Block 18

This is the second theme block. I will be showing you how to make a corn block (farm stand) and another ship block (travel).

Remember, this is the harder patchwork theme block.  When choosing a pattern for your own theme block, try to choose something that uses the more advanced patchwork techniques we've been working on, HRTs, QSTs, and so on. This block will be 12.5" square, so it should be relatively easy to find an existing pattern that might work. However, if you want some help picking something or brainstorming ideas, I'm available on Facebook, Instagram, and of course via email at

Saturday, May 7, 2016

DCMQG 2016 QAL - Block 17

Block 17

This is the box kite block, based on Angela Pingel's block in Modern Blocks. Her block uses templates, we're going to be taking a stab at Half Rectangle Triangles (HRTs). This is the first block where the baby quilt block is not just a simplified half-sized version of the queen sized block. The queen sized block also has some optional partial seams practice.

Friday, April 22, 2016

DCMQG 2016 QAL - Block 16

Block 16

Moving right along to our QST Heart. I believe the inspiration for this came from Gypsy Wife by Jen Kingwell, but I made it quite a bit bigger.

Friday, April 15, 2016

DCMQG 2016 QAL - Block 15

Block 15

So I know I took inspiration for this block from somewhere, but I also know that I made some changes to make this my own design. Which means that I am calling this the QST Star, because I'm really creative like that (I save most of my creativity for quilt designing and hardly ever name my quilts anything interesting).

Thursday, April 7, 2016

DCMQG QAL - Small Hiatus

I've had to take a small hiatus from posting blocks once a week for the QAL. This week's block will either be late, or not happen either. Between visits from my mother:

At the playground

Blowing dandelions while daddy is doing yard work

Cherry blossoms along the Tidal Basin

And making three quilts in the last month (individual blog posts once I get my act together):

I've been pretty slammed, and ran right through all the blocks I'd made ahead of time.

Take some time to catch up on your blocks (or get started) and I'll be back with the next block either on Sunday or next Friday.

I'll leave you with a picture of my kiddo helping me paper piece one of the stars in the space quilt:

Friday, March 25, 2016

DCMQG 2016 QAL - Block 14

Block 14

We have come to what I like to call the Lattice block. It's based on a block called Pogo Stick by Jessica Brown that can be found in Modern Blocks: 99 Blocks from Your Favorite Quilt Designers. This is sew and slice block and another good test of your precision piecing.

Friday, March 18, 2016

DCMQG 2016 QAL - Block 13

Block 13

We're moving on to the Disappearing 9-patch. First of our sew and slice blocks. This is a very quick and fun block to make, so enjoy!