Wednesday, May 29, 2013

May Progress (Cont.)

I finished several bee blocks this weekend. First were the blocks for the Nubees bee. This is a month long bee with only four people to a hive. I chose this block design.
 Block for Brandy, who asked for low volume with a pop of color. I have never made anything with low volume, and that pop of red really makes a statement. Conclusion: I need to work in neutrals more often.
 Block for Lisa, who asked for coral, grey, and teal.
 Block for Sara, who wanted coral, navy, and teal.
 My test block with my own colors of red, gold, and black. I really like how it turned out.
 This was for Jo, as part of side swap. She wanted red, green, and aqua.

I also completed my blocks for the May HOPE do.good Stitches bee. We used this tutorial. The quilter asked for mustard, grey, and aqua. I'm so sick and tired of trying to figure out aqua, and luckily have a ton of mustard and grey, that I stuck with those. These blocks went together ridiculously fast, and I'm thinking that I might need to do a whole quilt of these. They're SOOOO easy and look great!

I put together the May block for Color Bee Shocked, which is blogged here.

Finally, I moved the needle a little bit on my Japanese X and Plus blocks. I added red corners to one set of X's and finished up two other sets that I had sewn the corners to already.
I love that dress print! It really adds a nice splash of color. I also cut a few grey squares.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May Progress

I wish I had more to report. The end of April and most of May have been slow in terms of progress.

I did finish my April blocks for HOPE do.good Stitches.
Tutorial for Converging Corners blocks can be found here. We were asked to make blocks using orange, green, blue, and brown with a grey background and a fussy cut center. I think my favorite part was fussy cutting the centers, unfortunately the rest wasn't as fun.

And I started on my April bitties. Luckily, the Bitty Bee Committee is taking a summer hiatus, which makes me feel a bit less bad about taking so long to make my blocks.

I have been doing a bit of work on my Japanese X and Plus blocks. Cutting red squares, and starting to sew them onto the X portions. Here are just a few pictures of my progress. I have also started cutting my darker text prints for the center Plus and some grey prints for the outer squares. Not sure yet if I'll stick with all grey prints or if I'll mix it up.
But mainly I've been cutting a lot of fabric. Since I've already ruined the surprise, I'm working on making a Plus quilt for my brother and future SIL for their wedding.
This picture is woefully out of date. I have since cut all of the fabrics shown above, and cut a ton more. I really need to take a new picture, the stack has grown to epic proportions and I'm not even close to done cutting. I'm going to cut all of the grey, yellow, and coral fabrics I have and see where I end up size wise. I'm shooting for a King, but my future SIL said she doesn't care what size it ends up at, so I told her I'd just cut the fabric I have and see where that gets me.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

April Finish

I made it. Both of my goals, for that matter. I finished the fracture quilt.

I quilted it in a sunburst pattern. The binding is from the same solid dark purple I used in the front and a purple print I was going to use on the back.

The back is a larger version of one of the front blocks. I even managed to embroider my initials before the end of April.

And I cut all of the light text prints for my Japanese X and Plus Blocks and started adding in the red triangles.